The dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) gas are very real for any homeowner or apartment. Without the proper detection equipment, there’s virtually no way you’d be aware that this colorless, odorless, tasteless gas was poisoning you through the air you breathe.
- The most common “offenders” in the creation of this dangerous gas are all around us in our homes: wood-burning stoves, propane-heaters, furnaces.
- Despite all the knowledge we have about the dangers of CO, and the fact that the device that you can pick up and install a life-saving detector in less time than it takes to order a pizza, there are still homes without enough properly-working CO detectors.
- Many states require homes to have a carbon monoxide detection device within 15 feet of any bedroom. I think it’s a great idea: when my family’s safety is at stake, I act to make it right, and you should do the same. So whether your state has taken similar measures to mandate CO safety or not, take the law into your own hands: Invest in a CO detector for your home, keep it up-to-date with battery changes and test it. Replace the detector every 5 years. And listen to it… if the alarm sounds, take it seriously.