Beer Can Chicken Rub:
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
NOTE: You can also purchase ready-made chicken rubs from Ace Hardware
- Tiki Tiki Rub, 5280 Culinary – Season to taste
- Or, Oink Rub, 5280 Culinary – Season to taste
- Or, 50/50 Blend of Oink & Rub a Dub – Season to taste
For the Chicken:
- 4 pounds chicken, washed and dried
- Vegetable oil
- Beer Can Chicken Rub
- 1 (12-ounce) can beer
- For the chicken rub: In a small bowl mix all the ingredients together and use for the grilled chicken. You can store extra rub mixture in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- For the chicken: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Rub the chicken and its cavity down with the vegetable oil. Season the chicken with rub mixture, remembering to season the cavity. Pour out 1/4 of the beer and sit the chicken on top of the beer can. Place the chicken in the center of the hot grill and cover. Cook the chicken for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees F. Once cooked, cover loosely with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.