- 1 pound sweet peppers (green, red and yellow, if available) seeded and cut into eighths
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and cut into large coins
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 2 pounds sweet or hot Italian sausages, or bratwurst or other fresh sausage
Meanwhile, toss peppers and onions with oil and sprinkle with salt. Lightly prick sausages all over so that they do not burst.
Put peppers and onions in a grill basket or directly on the grill, turning occasionally until they are softened and dark at the edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Move them to the side of the grill without coals.
Place the sausages on the hot side of the grill, cover and cook, turning occasionally until they are cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer the peppers and onions to a platter and top with the sausages. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.