Does your family observe “Taco Tuesdays?” If so, give your tacos a makeover by serving sushi-grade tuna. Served on corn tortillas (fresh, if you can find them), and garnished with finely shredded cabbage, homemade pico de gallo, and a bright-tasting cilantro lime sauce, these tacos are fit for the company. And you’ll spend just minutes at the grill.
- Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 2 pounds thick (1 1/2 inches) tuna steaks
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 small green cabbage, thinly shredded (about 2 cups)
- 12 corn tortillas
For the cilantro lime sauce:
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
For the pico de gallo:
- 3 luscious, ripe, red tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped (for a milder salsa, seed the chilies)
- 1/2 small white onion, finely diced
- 4 red radishes, finely diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Step 1: Place the tuna on a platter. Brush both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes while you make the sauce and light the grill.
Step 2: Make the cilantro lime sauce. Place the garlic, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and mash to a paste with the back of a spoon. Add the cilantro, ginger, sour cream, and lime juice and stir to mix. Place the sauce in an attractive serving bowl.
Step 3: Make the pico de gallo. Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl and gently toss to mix. Correct the seasoning, adding lime juice or salt to taste. Place in an attractive serving bowl.
Place the cabbage in a serving bowl.
Step 4: Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill grate. Arrange the tuna on the grate and grill until charred on the outside, but still quite rare in the center, 2 minutes per side. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and thinly slice. Arrange the tortillas on the grate and grill until warm and pliable, 30 to 60 seconds per side.
Step 5: Thinly slice the tuna steaks.
Step 6: To serve, place a few slices of tuna on each tortilla. Add a spoonful each of cilantro lime sauce and pico de gallo. Top with shredded cabbage and fold the tortilla in half. Serve at once.