Hands-down hardwood flooring is my favorite flooring surface for a home. It’s beautiful, adds value to a home, and is renewable.
If they are new to you and you have questions on how to care for hardwood floors, then I have some things for you to know from Ace’s Home Expert.
- While there are many different types of real hardwood flooring three of the most popular are Cherry, Maple, and Oak. All have distinct colors, shading, and grains and all are about the same hardness.
- A hardwood floor can last decades when properly cared for. It is not uncommon to see hardwood flooring that is still terrific-looking 100 years later. I challenge you to find another material that can do the same.
- Hardwood floors can be refinished multiple times. As a rule, 4-5 times during their lifespan. And at a fraction of the cost of replacing the floor.
- The best way to keep the floors looking good is to use neutral-based cleaners for hardwood floors. With apologies to your grandmother vinegar and water as a cleaner will dull the finish over time.
- To keep scuffs and scratches at a minimum, install felt pads on the legs of all chairs, tables, and other furniture. Avoid dragging items on the floor. And if you have pets keep their nails trimmed.
- As for the type of finish to use when refinishing I recommend waterborne finishes in a satin gloss. These finishes are non-yellowing, durable, and easy to apply.
Source: tips.acehardware.com ~ Image: tips.acehardware.com