Watch and learn how to maintain your deck in this 3 part series. In this part 1 video, we’ll cover the 3 C’s of deck maintenance including: checking the condition, cleaning and completing simple repairs.
#1. Prep, Clean, Repair
- Clean it right
- Check the condition
- Complete simple repairs
#2. Test It
- The water test helps decide if you need to re-stain your deck.
- Pour water onto your deck, if it beads up, then wait a few weeks to test it again.
- The bleach test helps decide if your desk has mold or mildew.
- Hold a rag with bleach on it to fuzzy gray or black areas. If the mark is gone, you have a mold problem.
- The fingernail test helps decide if you need to treat your wood before you stain.
- Press your finger nail into the wood. If it leaves an indentation, you need to treat your wood.
#3. Clean It
- Special cleaners are specific for each issue.
- Pressure wash it
- Scrub your with your cleaner into the deck with a deck brush.
- Sand it lightly after
#4. Fix It, Repair any simple issues